Dog and Puppy Rescue
Adoption Listings in your Area
If you have decided to adopt a dog, congratulation! If you are not sure if puppy rescue adoption is right for you, continue reading.
Dog rescue centres are crammed with puppies and dogs that ended up there for a variety of reasons. But no matter why a dog was placed in a shelter, rarely it's due to his or her own fault. Some of the most common reasons, in no particular order, dog owners give for surrendering their pets include:
- Personal problems (divorce, health problems)
- Lifestyle change (divorce, new baby)
- Not enough time
- Can't afford the upkeep
- Having the dog is not what the owner expected or the owner chose a wrong breed
- Unexpected litter
But some dogs do end up in a shelter because they were too aggressive towards other pets or people. That's why it's important to talk to shelter staff and try to get the full history of the dog you are thinking about adopting.
If you are still not sure if puppy rescue adoption is right for you, here are some interesting facts that might change your mind:
- Approximately 2 million dogs are placed in shelters in the US every year
- Approximately 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year due to overpopulation
- 25% to 30% of dogs in shelters are purebred (the remaining 70% to 75% are just as lovable and will make just as nice addition to your household)
- Many dog rescue shelters / puppy rescue and adoption organizations provide counseling to help match you up with a right puppy or dog
- There are numerous dog rescue organizations that specialize in a particular breed. If you are interested in a specific breed, why not check with one of these organizations before you visit a pet store or call a breeder?
- Finally, don't assume that a dog that was given up by a previous owner must be "bad"
This puppy rescue adoption page will help you to locate a puppy from one of the dog rescue groups near you. You can search by breed and zip code.
If you plan to buy your puppy because you couldn't find the breed you have your heart set on, or you still feel puppy rescue adoption is not for you, learn how to find a reputable dog breeder. As far as pet stores go, I don't recommending buying from them because most, but not all, buy their puppies from puppy mills.
If you do decide to adopt a dog, I recommend you visit house training an older dog to learn how to deal with some problems that your dog may experience right after adoption.
Even if you discovered this page by accident and are not looking for a new pet but know someone who is, please let them know about this page through an email or share it using one of the buttons below. Thank you.
Find this article interesting? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments, and as always, your +1's, Shares, Facebook likes and retweets are appreciated.
Search this site or click here to search the Web